NSG 9 badge

continued ...


Stab and II./KG 30 were to go to Achmer pending the "restoration" of their eventual destination, Münster-Handorf.

The shorter-ranged III./KG 51 and Kommando Schenck were to be based nearer the front; Staffel Einhorn would have faced similar constraints had it been operational.

The Gruppenstab of II./KG 51 together with its 5. and 6. Staffeln had been ordered to Schwäbisch Hall two weeks before to convert to the Me 262; the 4./KG 51 was to follow suit “on receipt of special order.” Also of interest is that I./KG 54 was slated for conversion to the Me 262, presumably in the bombing role, around three months before the wide-ranging conversion of Kampfgruppen to the fighter role in their "KG (J)" guise.

The Fliegerkorps asked that each of the new bases be stocked with: 100 cbm of B4; 100 each of SC 500, SD 500, AB 500/SD 10 and AB 500/SD 1; 500 x SD 70; 50 x AB 1000 B, El.; 30 x AB 500 B1 El.; and ammunition for aircraft guns.

Although clearance was still awaited from Luftlotte Reich, units were supposed to land at these new bases at first light. Making the most of scarce fuel, the original intention was that they should first raid Chalons-sur-Marne, in support of an attack by XLVII. Panzer Korps. The order given out at 14.00 GMT gave a time-on-target some seven hours later. The I./KG 66 was to drop green markers in the town centre, followed by red and white flares. The main force (from LG 1, KG 6, KG 30 and III./KG 51) was to approach over Vervins, where the ARGUS beacon was to be installed but in the event, the mission was scrubbed at 17.00 GMT.


Units of IX. Fliegerkorps resumed operations on the night of 30/31 August with Soissons as the target. The plan was for a concentrated attack on the centre of the town at 23.00 GMT. The I./KG 66 would mark the target with red target indicators at 22.55 and maintain illumination for 20 minutes; aircraft short of fuel could land at Eindhoven or Venlo on the return leg. That night the Allies heard wireless traffic from aircraft of I. and II./LG 1, III./KG 6 and II./KG 30 (Ulf Balke writes that 51 aircraft took off, of which 44 attacked). The II./KG 6 reported that 10 of its Ju 88 had bombed between 2306 and 2328 GMT; one of these dropped by dead reckoning in 49º 12’ N, 03º 15’ East (near the village of Chouy about 20 km SSW of Soissons).


homelink back top