25–30 June 1944

The 25th of June saw a number of major incursions into Southern France by American heavy bombers and their escorts, Jagdgruppe 200 opposing these with 59 Bf 109 sorties. The defending fighters appear to have clashed with the estimated 400 escorted bombers that attacked targets in the Avignon–Arles area, claiming two four-motor aircraft shot out of formation and three damaged, as well as damage to three fighters.

Some reassessment seems to have ensued, with the following claims finally accredited, all of them taking place inland from Marseille:

JGr. 200 claims





Uffz. Bauch

2./JGr. 200




Fw. Lünsmann

3./JGr. 200


shot out of formation


Ogefr. Horst Rippert

3./JGr. 200


shot out of formation

Forty-one P-38s of the 82nd FG were escorting a mission by four groups of B-24s to the refineries at Sète and Balaruc-les-Bains, south west of Montpellier. They met enemy aircraft about 20 miles north of Toulon, at around 09.35 hours. Lieutenant Melvin E. Wiedbusch (P-38J 43-28774) called in enemy fighters climbing through the clouds beneath the 95th FS formation, then went down after them, followed by Lt. Jack D. Joley. Wiedbusch got close on the tail of a Bf 109 and was last seen firing at it in a near-vertical dive. He did not call for help and it was believed he had been unable to pull out. The 95th’s Lts. Nathanial A. Pape and Alphonse J. Mikes both claimed a Bf 109 damaged in this engagement.

Eleven minutes later and 115 km. away, three pilots 31st FG (Group CO, Col. Charles McCorkle; 2/Lt. Carl H. Brown; and 1/Lt. Robert E. Riddle, whose 5th victory this was) claimed Bf 109s destroyed while Lt. John J. Smith claimed one probable out of nine enemy fighters which attacked a force en route to rail targets round Avignon. It was probably this engagement which resulted in JGr. 200’s casualties but no P-51 was lost, despite the Uffz. Bauch's claim.

The cost to JGr. 200 was a Bf 109 shot down with its pilot killed, while another pilot was injured and made a forced landing in friendly territory. No further details were given but it is almost certain that they were from 1./JGr. 200: Ogefr. Gerhard Klauka, killed (Bf 109 G-6 W.Nr. 441303, white 13) and Fw. Karl Bernhardt, wounded (Bf 109 G-6 W.Nr. 440267, white 15). These casualties are listed as occurring on 28 and 29 June but there is no evidence of JGr. 200 operating on those dates; Allied formations did not raid targets in Southern France or claim against Bf 109s there. What is more, Jafü Süd's reported total losses for 25–30 June were one shot down and one force-landed. The index card recording Klauka’s death (held by the Bundesarchiv) says that he died at 18.00 hrs. on 28 June at Aix-les-Milles airfield, the cause “burns (accident)”. The discrepancy in dates appears to arise from his surviving for a few days after the crash.

The next known JGr. 200 flying took plce on 29 June: 18 Bf 109 sorties in six operations, without claims or losses. Next day there were two scrambles in Rotte strength and one as a Schwarm. A P-38 was sighted high over the Rhône Estuary but escaped interception when its pursuers were dazzled by the sun. The Gruppe’s strength that day was reported as 27 serviceable Bf 109s and 34 (25) crews.

The unit's total effort from the 25th to the end of the month was reported as 59 aircraft scrambled, shooting two four-motor bombers out of formation and damaging three as well as damaging three fighters.

continued on next page …


JG200plate next top back abandonlink sourcelink losslink strengthlink maplink dateslink augustlink julylink junelink introlink homelink