27–31 August 1940

The Gruppe was told that 6N+FK would not arrive with 2./KGr. 100 until about noon on the 29th: its repair had been held up by missing spare parts and a defect in the starboard engine. Lüneburg was also in touch regarding He 111 H-2, 6N+ML, which had been ferried over from Celle without its armament. Luftzeuggruppe 11 suggested that to expedite its re-equipment the relevant Fliegerdivision should issue an order to ensure the provision of 6 x MG 15, 50 “double drums” (presumably magazines) and a list of other items.

On the 29th KGr. 100 reported that following aircraft would be sent to Lüneburg in the next few days for engine changes in the next few days:

He 111 H-3

W.Nr. 6884


He 111 H-3

W.Nr. 6900


He 111 H-3

W.Nr. 5471


Next day, the Restkommando advised that the RLM had ordered supplementary telephony equipment to be installed in aircraft. This would take one day per machine and the Gruppe was to say immediately whether it wished the work to be done. Also on the 30th, Obt. Mansfeld,was transferred to the Luftflotte Signals School as company commander (the British understood this establishment to be in Königgrätz).

On the last day of August, the Gruppe was asking when Ju 52 NR+AB would be ready to be handed over (the answer was that it would arrive on 4 September). There was equal concern over the arrival date of an He 111 H-3, 6N+AW. Smaller items of equipment were not getting through either: Ofw. Tischer’s crew had not received pistols and so these were being procured locally. Also that day, the British learned that Knickebein courses were taking place in Rheims, from an enquiry about when an Obltn. Frenzel (unit unknown) was due to attend.

2–12 September 1940

The British learned on the 2nd that Oblt. Garms belonged to KGr. 100 while Obltn. Langerfeld was with its Ergänzungskette. Next day Garms asked the Restkommando at Lüneburg for the logbooks of 6N+FK and 6N+ML to be given to an He 111, 6N+NK (presumably to be delivered to Vannes). Another Heinkel, 6N+OK of the 2. Staffel, was expected to be ready on 7 September for Uffz. Stock’s crew.

On the 4th, radar pioneer Dr. Rudolf Kühnhold contacted Hptm. Bennecke of KGr. 100’s Restkommando to say that Meister Zeigler and Allner and Gefr. Maatz were to be sent to him with Ju 52, NF+AB or NR+AB (presumably Dr. Kühnhold was the source of this ambiguity since the British already knew that NR+AB was expected on 4 September).

The 5th of September saw the Restkommando asking the Technical Officer to send the log of W.Nr. 6831, 6N+FH to Fassberg, where it was undergoing an engine change. For its part, the Gruppe asked Lüneburg’s TO to send a number of spare parts by the next aircraft if they could be spared, since a specialist fitter had arrived.

On the 6th, 3./KGr. 100’s 6N+BL was being overhauled at Fassberg and Ltn. Zetzsche was being transferred to the Restkommando to take over from Hptm. Bennecke who was ordered to rejoin the Gruppe straight away; Luftzeuggruppe West France advised an equipment depot to cancel an order for two Jumo 211 A-1 since KGr. 100 had now acquired these items direct. Most Luftwaffe messages at this period seem to have been broken within 24 hours of interception but it was not until 6 September that the British deciphered a message stating that KGr. 100’s Ergänzungskette (replacement element) was at Köthen on 15 August.

The V. Fliegerkorps told one of its units on 8 September that the Cherbourg Knickebein beacon (at 1º 51’ W, 49º 40’ 30” N) would be available that day for operations. Prospective users should apply with 2½ hours notice and it could also be used for daylight practice. Two days later, the same HQ told its units that an instruction sheet for the Knickebein beacon was available on request and 4.(F)/121 asked for four copies. The morning of 11 September saw V. Fliegerkorps asking its subordinate units to submit right away “comprehensive reports of results obtained with the »Fernfunkfeuer Knickebein« (long-range radio beacon) during recent operations. On the 12th KGr. 100 asked the Darmstadt-Griesheim repair works to fly over a low-pressure manometer for acetlyene while Ltn. Albrecht Zetsche advised the 3. Staffel that 6N+HL had been found but its crew was missing. On the 12th KGr. 100 asked the Darmstadt-Griesheim repair works to fly over a low-pressure manometer for acetlyene while Ltn. Zetsche advised the 3. Staffel that 6N+HL had been found but its crew was missing.



NSG 9 badge top back homelink